ONLINE DESIGN EXPERT | A Certified Mark Of Excellence
A designer who carries “The mark” is an authorised user who is individually licensed to use the title “online Design Expert” and has undertaken and completed an entire course of study, passed the examination and graduated from the Online Design Expert training provided by Invent Design Create Limited (trading as The Interior Designer’s Business School).
The characteristics certified by this mark are the abilities of the designer to provide an expert online design service and ensure a high standard for delivering online design services in the interior design and related industries (including architecture, interior, architectural drawing, styling, plan drawing, drafting, decluttering/organising, home staging and interior decorating worldwide).
The abilities the designer must demonstrate to pass the examination are outlined in Section 4.
The Course Syllabus is shown in Annex A.
Use of this logo on your website is prohibited unless you have met the examination requirements as part of this registered certification mark under no. UK00003312364
- SECTION 1 | Definitions
- SECTION 2 | Persons authorised to use the Mark
- SECTION 3 | Characteristics to be certified by the Mark
- SECTION 4 | How the certifying body tests for these characteristics and supervises the use of the mark
- SECTION 5 | Competency of the Proprietor
- SECTION 6 | Continuing Professional Development
- SECTION 7 | Fees to be paid in connection with the operation of the mark
- SECTION 8 | Procedures available for resolving disputes
Section 1 | DEFINITIONS
- Certification Mark | ONLINE DESIGN EXPERT logo shown on the front page of these Regulations
- Online Design | Providing an interior design-related service and communicating over the internet rather than face to face.
- Online Interior Design | Providing an interior design-related service and communicating over the internet rather than face to face.
- Applicant | A person applying to be an Authorised User of the Certification Mark.
- Authorised User | A person who is licensed by the Proprietor to use the ONLINE DESIGN EXPERT logo Certification Mark.
- Interior Designer | A person who provides a design service involving the decoration or altering of the inside spaces of a room or building and including (but not limited to) the spatial arrangement of the internal elements, including furniture, fixed or non-fixed items.
- Continuing Professional Development | An ongoing process of learning to ensure relevance and up-to-date knowledge in the industry.
- The Proprietor | The governing body or owner of the Certification Mark ONLINE DESIGN EXPERT logo.
- The Mark | Online Design Expert Certification mark
Section 2 | PERSONS AUTHORISED TO USE THE MARK
The ONLINE DESIGN EXPERT logo Certification Mark is for use by individuals only and is not to be used by companies or businesses except those that are sole proprietors and whose business service provides interior design-related services including (but not limited to) staging, styling, organisation, architectural design, layouts, purchasing, furniture, fitting and equipment specification or design consulting services, and as part of that service or business activity provides an online design service (or any other definition of the term).
This can include, but is not limited to the following:
- a) Interior Designer
- b) Architectural Designer
- c) Drafter or Technician
- d) Architect
- e) Home / Property Stylist
- f) Real Estate Stager
- g) Interior Stylist
- h) Furniture Stylist
- i) Interior Decorator
- j) Décor Stylist
- k) Spatial Designer
- l) Professional Organiser
- m) Professional Declutterer
Section 3 | CHARACTERISTICS TO BE CERTIFIED BY THE MARK
The characteristic that is being certified is the ability of the designer to provide an expert online design service. This is characterised by having completed the full course of study of the Online Design Expert training provided by The Interior Designer’s Business School (trading as Invent Design Create Ltd) and having graduated with a minimum of 50% PASS in the final examination.
This is to ensure a high standard for delivering online design services in the interior design and related industries such as architecture, styling, plan drawing, drafting, decluttering and decorating worldwide.
The abilities the designer must demonstrate in order to pass the examination are outlined in Section 4.
The Course Syllabus is shown at Annex A.
An Authorised User of the Certification Mark will be listed on a publicly available register which is updated annually.
Section 4 | HOW THE CERTIFYING BODY TESTS FOR THESE CHARACTERISTICS AND SUPERVISES USE OF THE MARK
Any person wishing to become an Authorised User of the Certification Mark shall complete the full course of study of the Online Design Expert training provided by The Interior Designer’s Business School (trading as Invent Design Create Ltd) and shall graduate with over 50% PASS in the final examination.
The course content is set out in the Course Syllabus.
By attending the course of study and sitting the examination, an Applicant agrees to comply with the Regulations set out in this document during the whole period that they are an Authorised User.
How the certifying body tests for these characteristics
The certifying body tests for these characteristics by providing a course of study and then an examination where the Applicant must graduate with a pass mark of a minimum of 50% in the final examination score.
An Applicant can apply to re-sit the examination only once within 28 days of the initial examination.
The course and assessment criteria require a fee (Refer to Section 6).
The criteria for assessment are as follows:
A certified ONLINE DESIGN EXPERT must demonstrate the following skills and graduate with a pass mark of a minimum of 50% after completing the full course of study in the Online Design Expert Course:
1. A high level of proficiency using digital technology by demonstrating the following abilities:
- -Use Computer-Aided Design software that is relevant to interior design,
- Measure and draw up survey information,
- Able to accurately draw to scale and present in a concise digital document a 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional plan or elevation of a space using key dimensions and photographs,
- Draw room layouts and present furniture and room layouts to scale,
- Use scale rulers and prepare scale drawings,
- Able to create a digital presentation that communicates spatially descriptive information clearly and easily,
- Able to convert digital 3D files to formats such as JPEG, JPG and PDF or video files to MPEG-4 in order to share information in a universally legible format,
- Able to use programs to reduce file sizes appropriate to the documentation being presented, and
- Demonstrates the ability to send documentation digitally using file sharing platforms and encrypted legal documentation and forms.
2. Ability to create designs that satisfy both aesthetic and technical requirements in response to a client’s design brief.
Each student must demonstrate the following skills and qualities in their design which is aesthetically and technically accurate:
- Translate technical requirements into a design proposal that responds to the brief,
- Demonstrate the ability to create a design that is functional and fit for purpose,
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills to overcome common day-to-day design issues,
- The ability to communicate using a variety of mediums including verbal, visual documentation, symbols (for electrical & lighting), schedules, 3D and 2D drawings,
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic construction,
- Understand lighting and electrical drawings and designs,
- Create lighting and electrical layouts,
- Understand international and local building regulation laws and how to adhere to them,
- Legal knowledge of materials, fabrics and finishes, and their purpose,
- Know where to find and source relevant materials, fabrics, finishes and furniture in response to a brief,
- Able to demonstrate knowledge of the resources required to undertake a project of different size and complexity,
- Create production information for joinery, furniture and soft furnishings,
- Ability to identify the important elements of a contract and interpret a client brief,
- Demonstrate knowledge of how to run typical projects,
- Adequately assess and analyse the scope of work required in a design brief,
- Adequate working knowledge of planning, regulation and the skills involved in the planning/development application process, and
- Demonstrate understanding of sustainability and the direct impact interior designers can make.
- Demonstrate an understanding of scale, composition, form, space and order,
- Incorporate relevant architectural and historical context into a design,
- Demonstrate understanding of how to design with an idea that follows through to an end scheme,
- Identify harmony and friction in design and use these skills appropriately in response to a brief,
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history of art, architecture and furniture design relevant to interior design styles, and
- Understand how to apply theoretical principles underlying the work of a particular style or movement into an interior design scheme.
3. Ability to use specific methods of investigation and preparation of the brief for a design project.
- Hold an effective interview and interpret a client’s needs after being given oral direction, and
- Combining a client’s written brief with an interview to formulate a brief that accurately defines the proposed scope of work.
4. Ability to work with legal documents, contracts and fee agreements.
- Understand trade relationships,
- Negotiate deals with key manufacturers,
- Communicate and present information to builders and other consultants,
- Create a binding contract that outlines a fee proposal, understanding of a brief and terms and conditions associated with the overall agreement.
The skills required in Sections 1-4 will be demonstrated in an online examination which will include multiple-choice format questions.
Section 5 | COMPETENCY OF THE PROPRIETOR
The Interior Designer’s Business School was founded by the Proprietor. The School is and will be operated by the Proprietor together with teachers, assessors and technical experts in sufficient ratio in relation to the number of users of the mark.
Section 6 | CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CPD)
Upon successful completion of the course and from the following January and every year thereafter, the Authorised User is required to complete or attend three relevant CPD events or activities every year. The CPD event or activity must be a live event or activity.
The Authorised User must keep a record of their CPD activity and provide it for inspection at the time of payment of the Annual Renewal fee (Refer to Section 6).
Section 7 | FEES TO BE PAID IN CONNECTION WITH OPERATION OF THE MARK
Initial Online Design Expert Course and Examination Fee: £1850
Annual Renewal Fee £120
The fees may be altered at the discretion of the Proprietor.
Section 8 | PROCEDURES AVAILABLE FOR RESOLVING DISPUTES
If a dispute arises between the Proprietor and an Applicant for membership or Authorised User regarding membership or the standard of work carried out by the Authorised User under the Mark, the following procedure shall be adopted:
- The Proprietor shall in writing (by email, online form or letter) provide details of their concerns to the Applicant or Authorised User, together with any relevant information and evidence.
- The Applicant or Authorised User will have an opportunity to reply in writing and/or request further information within one month of receipt of the Proprietor’s communication.
- The Proprietor will inform the Applicant or Authorised User of its decision within 40 days of receipt of the response of the Applicant or Authorised User.
In the event of a complaint about an Authorised User from a third party, the following procedure shall be adopted:
The Complainant shall provide in writing (either by email, online form or letter) the following details:
- a. Complainant’s name, address and contact details,
- b. Nature of the complaint,
- c. Name of the Authorised User, and
- d. Any relevant details and evidence.
A receipt of acknowledgement will be issued within 24 hours. The Proprietor will investigate and provide a written response within 40 days of receipt.
During this time, the Proprietor may request further information and the Complainant may be requested to agree to any reasonable audit or inspection.
If upon receipt of the Proprietor’s written response the Applicant, Authorised User or Complainant wishes to appeal further, they must inform the Proprietor in writing within 14 days of receipt of the response. Either party can then request that the dispute be heard by an independent mediator.
The parties must agree on the selection of a suitable mediator, who shall be nominated by the president of the The Royal Institute of British Architects.
Following mediation, if the parties are still unable to reach agreement, the dispute may be referred by either party to an independent arbitrator appointed by agreement between the parties or in default of agreement within ten business days of nomination, appointed for the purpose by the President for the time being of The Law Society on the application of either party.
The independent arbitrator shall act as an expert and not as an arbitrator and his decision as to any matter referred to him for determination shall in the absence of manifest error be final and binding in all respects. The costs of such mediation/arbitration will be in such proportions and in such a manner as the mediator/arbitrator may decide is fair and reasonable in all of the circumstances.
Upon cessation of membership, whether voluntarily by the Authorised User or at the instigation of the Proprietor, all use of the Certification Mark will be removed from the former Authorised User’s website, literature and any other placements.
INTERIOR DESIGN SCHOOL
Invent Design Create Limited trading as The Interior Designer’s Business School is a registered company in England and Wales UK.
- Company No. 09610117
- VAT No. 371231035
- 175 Wokingham Rd, Reading RG6 1LT, UK
IDBS is accredited by ICOES / Accreditation number 00763-IDBS-3021X
ONLINE DESIGN EXPERT
ONLINE DESIGN EXPERT | A Certified Mark Of Excellence – Find Out More
ALL INTERIORS BLOG
PRODUCTS & SERVICES
- Online Interior Design Course £1,850.00 — or £330.00 / month for 6 months
- After Hours | Online Weekly Interior Design Workshops £15.00 / month
- 90 Minute Consultation Call £650.00